What does a town do when there is a possible serial killer on the loose? It throws a carnival. Happy 100, Murderville!
Spoilers for “Village of the Damned”
For an episode where it seemed as if a whole lot was going on, not a whole lot actually happened. The things that did go down were fairly significant, but this episode felt more like a filler of sorts. Which is why I’m mostly going to concentrate on some theories for this post Scream recap.
Quick main points of the episode:
Audrey’s tormentor broke into her room and left some nasty messages including one about there being 12 deaths so far. The dead as of this episode are Tyler, Nina, Rachel, Riley, Will, the guard at Branson’s cell, Grayson, Sheriff Hudson, Jake, Eddie, and Piper. That only makes 11, but the group doesn’t know Branson is dead which rounds the body count so far to 12.
Seth Branson is officially dead. As much as I didn’t like the guy, being burned alive is a really gruesome way to go. Maggie, who is back on the case, identified him.
A girl in Atlanta has a restraining order against Eli due to his B&E habits and exactly 0 people who watch the show are surprised. After learning this information from Emma, Audrey thinks it is him who has been breaking into their rooms and taunting them.
Kieran punches Eli in front of Emma after the creepy cousin taunts Kieran about the death of his mother and stepfather. He later tells Emma he was in the car with them when he and his stepfather got into an argument which caused the accident when his stepfather took his eyes off the road to yell at Kieran.
Brook gets super smashed (off of the booze Zoey brought in a flask) and gives the most epic and feels inducing speech at the Lady of the Lake pageant finals at the carnival. “Jake has a great sense of humor. This all just feels so appropriate, ‘cause this carnival’s a joke! Congratulations Lakewood! Happy one hundred years of lying to yourself!” She told them to “wake up and stop acting like this isn’t Murderville, we’re all gonna end up like Jake. And we’ll deserve it.” [Mic drop to end all mic drops] And she is right, Jake would have absolutely loved that speech.
Emma gets a message from Kieran that conveniently isolates her from the group, then a phone call from the killer with a video of Kieran tied up inside the funhouse. Emma rushes in to save her man, and unbeknownst to her, the deputy Acosta had following her is right on her heels. The deputy is thrown thru a mirror where Emma finds him (I don’t think he is dead because it sounded like he was groaning when Emma tripped on him). As the killer approaches her, she takes the deputy’s gun and shoots at him. The guy runs off and out of the funhouse to a group of waiting cops. He gets on his knees and it is what we all figured, Kieran is behind the mask, but his mouth is taped up and the knife is taped to his hand. Emma sees this and freaks because she nearly killed her boyfriend.
Zoey wins Lady of the Lake and she nearly gets her chance to hook up with Noah, but Audrey’s call interrupted one time too many. She sends the audio of Audrey’s confession to Emma just before Audrey goes to her best friend to confess her role with Piper.
Reddit is full of theories as to who the killer is, but this one is my favorite.
Kieran is everyone’s favorite to be the killer and the original accomplice to Piper in season one. There is a lot of evidence stacked against him:
- Piper needed someone much bigger than her to attack and take Will.
- Kieran (so far as we’ve seen) has been unaccounted for in many of the killings or sightings of the killer.
- At Brook’s big party at the end of season one, the killer was gone just before Kieran shows up.
- We have never seen the killer attack Kieran even in the funhouse sequence, we only see him tied up in the video.
- When he was in the costume, the knife was taped to one hand, but his other hand looked pretty free. Why didn’t he use his free hand to remove the mask and knife before approaching Emma?
About that whole funhouse thing… I think it was an attempt to make Emma feel for Kieran once more so she will listen to him about Eli and anything else he tells her. What he didn’t plan for was the deputy assigned to follow her and the horde of cops waiting outside the funhouse.
There is a part of me who thinks Kieran might not be the killer, but is tormenting Emma with the Brandon James costume. I need to flesh out my theory a bit more, so I won’t get into it here. Maybe next week I’ll have my thoughts together about it or something will happen that will confirm or change my mind.
There is a lot of information pointing to Stavo as the killer as well, but not nearly as substantial as the evidence against Kieran:
- He likes to draw dead bodies, but his claims it is for a graphic novel could be true.
- One of those drawings is of Branson handcuffed to the bed, but Brook could have told him all about what she did to him.
- He has a Brandon James mask.
- The drug in the tequila bottle was something he was familiar with.
- When he talks to Miss Lang, she asks him about the bodies he has kept. I doubt they are bodies of people, but they could be bodies of animals he has dissected. His father seemed really upset to hear about Stavo talking about serial killers to his psych teacher.
- Something happened in Phoenix. A gun went off and Stavo did something to remember his friend, but Acosta says something about it all being about Stavo’s art. What happened in Phoenix and what accident involving a friend of Stavo’s are they talking about?
- He is also unaccounted for during the times when the killer is around and is very apathetic when something happens.
What about Maggie as the killer with the help of Troy James?
Everyone blames the initial massacre on Brandon James, but there have been several conversations that have people doubting it was him. Even Piper claimed her father was wrongfully accused which is why she went on her killing spree in the first place.
What if Maggie was really having an affair with Troy James and used Brandon as the excuse to protect her real lover when Kevin confronted her about it? Angry about what Kevin and his friends did to his brother out of revenge, Troy puts on his brother’s mask and killed all those kids. To protect Troy once more, Maggie tells the cops it was Brandon and lures him out not realizing he would be killed as a result. Somehow Miguel Acosta is a part of this story. What if he was friends with Troy as well and helped with the cover up?
After Piper is killed, Maggie looks into her daughter’s past and sees the letters from Audrey talking about how toxic the town is. Maggie goes a little crazy and starts to torment Audrey for her place in Piper’s arrival to town (and eventual death) and kills Jake because he reminded Maggie a little too much of the men who attacked Brandon in the first place.
The emails to Kevin Duval from Emma’s computer could have been sent by Maggie.
Who do you think the killer is? Do you have anything to add to my theories? What did you think of last night’s Scream? How epic was Brook’s speech? Let me know your thoughts in the comments section below.